Tanker Foam System
Published: Saturday, 27 December 2014 11:42
Written by Lance Hartley
- Foam concentrate
- Personal protective clothing
- Clean "Y" strainer regularly - after each incident (or shift at major fire) if using dirty creek or dam water and weekly to monthly (depending on usage) when using reticulated water. A blocked "Y" strainer can cause failure of foam system or pump to overheat. To clean, undo hexagon cap and carefully remove mesh screen. Replace screen in cap & refit carefully. Do not over-tighten.
To supply foam
- Check to ensure that foam is in container with cap open.
- Start the pump and set the pressure at greater than 600kPa (700kPa is optimum).
- Open branch to provide water flow through pump and proportioner.
- Turn Foam On/Off (Tank Recirc.) valve On.
- Turn foam metering valve (see below) to 6%. (Both valves need to be ‘vertical’ for 6%)
On standby (charged line)
- Turn foam On/Off (Tank Recirc.) valve to On & set percentage selector to zero.
- Do not close branch.
- Discharge water to clear foam from pump if foam has been used.
- Discharge small quantity regularly to cool pump.
- Reset percentage selector to required percentage when foam required.
To shut-down foam
- Set percentage selector to zero.
- Discharge water as above (if on active fireground) or flush system (leaving fireground)
- Close the cap on the foam drum when foam no longer required.
To flush foam system
- Start the pump and set pressure at greater than 600 kPa.
- Replace foam concentrate with hot water and purge lines with hot water.
- Set foam percentage selector to zero & turn foam On/Off (Tank Recirc.) valve to On.
- Discharge water through the hoses used until discharged water is free of foam. Discharge water through other valves.
- Turn Foam On/Off (Tank Recirc.) valve Off & shut down the pump.
- If foam entered water tank, flush tank until free of foam.
©2017 Tathra Volunteer Rural Fire Brigade