Using A Powder Extinguisher
- Published: Saturday, 27 December 2014 11:02
- Written by Lance Hartley
1 - 2 crew
- Dry chemical powder extinguisher
- Personal protective clothing
- Some firefighting agents are dangerous to use on the wrong class of fire.
- Endeavour to approach the fire from upwind (avoid smoke hazard)
Obtain the correct extinguisher
- Obtain a dry chemical powder extinguisher
- Check full (and serviceable).
- Remove safety pin
- Squeeze handle to test the extinguisher
- Determine the safest and best approach to the fire Take to the fire.
Extinguishing the fire
- Squeeze handle and use a sweeping action to direct the DCP cloud across the fire
- Continue sweeping action until fire is extinguished
- Back away from extinguished fire.
- Place extinguisher on its side to indicate that it is unserviceable.