Hydrants and Hydrant Markers
- Published: Saturday, 27 December 2014 11:00
- Written by Lance Hartley
1 - 2 crew
- 38 mm hose
- 65 mm hose
- Branch and hydrant
- Personal protective clothing
How to identify indicator plates for locating hydrants on potable and recycled water mains.
Primary Indicator Markers
- Primary indicator plates are marked with two sets of numbers.
- The top number gives the distance (in metres) from the plate to the hydrant and the bottom number gives the size (in millimetres) of the water main.
- H → Hydrant for potable water
- RH → Hydrant for recycled water
- P → Pathway
- R → Roadway
- Black line on plate indicates hydrant is on opposite side of road.
Secondary indicator plates.
- Secondary indicator plates should face each direction of approach from which the primary plates cannot be seen.
- Static Water Supply indicator plate fixed in a location to be highly visible from the road and may include swimming pools, tanks, dams, ponds or creeks.