Brigade Event Calendar

Random Image


Burning without notice



Sometimes! An approval is usually required to clear the vegetation you intend to burn and to conduct the burn. If your clearing and burning is for hazard reduction purposes you can apply for an environmental approval (Hazard Reduction Certificate) through the NSW RFS.

If your burning is not for hazard reduction purposes (garden maintenance etc), you need to contact your local Catchment Management Authority and Council to see if you require an environmental approval for vegetation clearing or burning in the open (air pollution).

Do you need a FIRE PERMIT?

Sometimes! You will need a Fire Permit if:

  • you are burning during the Bush Fire Danger Period (usually 1st September to 31st March)
  • your burn is likely to endanger a building, or
  • your fire is in a Fire & Rescue NSW area.

You can obtain a Fire Permit from the Bega Valley Fire Control Centre (64 947 400) or Fire & Rescue NSW Station.

Do you need to NOTIFY anyone before burning?

Yes! Always! It is a legislative requirement to provide a minimum of 24 hours notice

  • to your local fire authority. Bega Valley FCC (64 947 400) for all areas other than the townships of Bega, Merimbula and Eden where you must contact Fire & Rescue NSW, and
  • to all adjoining landowners (or occupiers).

Notifications to Bega Valley FCC need to occur during normal business hours and can cover an extended period of time as long as it is at least 24hrs prior to burning.